Friday 3 January 2014

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods [Anime Review]

First of all, I want to say that Dragon Ball and all its franchise are my childhood favorite anime, I don't feel like criticizing it. Unfortunately, after I watched the latest installment of Dragon Ball series that is; Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods, I had to. I don't know if it was the hype surrounding the movie or my expectation was too high. I'll break it down then. Spoilers ahead.

Where do I begin? There was this the strongest god called Bills also known by the god of destruction. One day he woke up from his slumber and got bored. Out of blue, Bills jumped into conclusion this so called Super Saiyan god was a formidable opponent to him. Thus, he, along with his assistant Whis, wanted to find Super Saiyan god whereabouts. Of course being a god of destruction Bills should be evil, yet his motivation on destroying earth was because Majin Buu not willing to share his pudding. Yes, it's freaking pudding! I can take conclusion that his silly reasoning to destroy earth was ridiculous. Moreover, there was no further explanation nor development, it was as shallow as that. Enough said.

Let's have a look about the animation. Usually I couldn't care less about the art, but seeing all the characters of Dragon Balls 'shiny and modernized' was really refreshing comparing to older Dragon Ball Z movies. Some people probably didn't feel that way, it is a matter of personal preference I guess. The combat scenes, although the CG used can not be considered the best, they were well animated. 3D effects here and there were pleasing on the eye. But again, the final fight was too short. It lacked of explosions and you know.. 'kamehame' thing. if it's not intense.

As for the characters. This movie is not a spin-off, Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods is specifically set during the "lost decade" of story time after the end of the battle with Majin Buu. Kuririn, Piccolo, Vegeta, and other familiar characters will appear in the film. The movie doesn't introduce the characters to newbie watchers, so those who haven't followed Dragon Ball series, you need to catch up till Majiin Buu's arc so you can fully grasp the plot.

I'm going to end this with rant. Instead of fill the movie up with epic combat scenes just like previous movies, it's full of fillers. The fighting was rushed and the outcome of its final duel was really disappointing. Yes, it has its moments, the comedy was fun but too much. I'm quite dissapointed. That's it! I don't want to spoil much more.

Story 5/10
Art 7/10
Sound 7/10
Character 6/10
Enjoyment 5/10
Overall 6/10




No comments:

Post a Comment