Friday 20 December 2013

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai [Anime Review]



This review can also be found on my profile at myanimelist.net/profile/Wadezig

In the spring season 2011, I was intrigued by one title of the anime line up that time. It's Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai ( We Still Don't Know the Name of the Flower We Saw That Day), it's pretty loooong name so from now on I'll just call it "Ano Hana". From the title, I've got the feeling that this anime is no joke and is unlike any other plotless moe anime that not worth mentioning, Ano Hana's going to be amazing! It's proved after I watched it.


I'm trying to not spoil beyond the synopsis here. Ano Hana tells about six childhood friends that because a tragic accident drifted them apart. After years, a strange thing happened and they're forced to reveal their true hidden feelings, to be once more they were used to. The plot probably can't be called the most original ones, but it's surely very engaging. After I finished the very first episode, I wanted more and more because of the cliffhangers and it's practically no fillers nor fanservice whatsoever.

I'm rarely attracted by soundtrack of anime since I'm not into Japanese music lyric, often I only skip it but I love the opening of Ano Hana. It is quite enjoyable, catchy and it really fits with the show. The ending song is the real thing --- Secret Base ~ Kimi ga Kureta mono, it's sung by the all seiyuu cast! I like the lyric meaning of it. The voice actors are amazing and believable especially Menma's voice (Ai Kayano). I couldn't imagine any other voice actors would fit Menma.
There is no much to criticize. Honestly I'm surprised that in such a short series it managed to develop a large amount of people. Compared to other characters, I only found that Menma's the one who lacks of development and depth, later on I'm sure it's on purpose after I knew what she actually was. Overall, almost all the characters are well developed and unique in their own way.

The art is generally good. The expressions and motions of the characters are very clear often speak louder than words (dat ending!), backgrounds, surroundings are drawn beautifully. I find the style of the hair is so so not bad, although it could have done better. As time passes by, I get used to it thou.

I really enjoyed watching Ano Hana. It was engrossing from the very first episode. Why I like the most is; the way how it ended which I'm sure everyone who already watched it did. So, if you're looking for a non-overused-melodrama tearjerker anime then I highly recommend you this; Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai, slice of life at its best.

Feel free to give any feedback. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment